Tuesday 15 September 2015

Humble Parenting advice on disciplining kids



  • aoa SB, i feel awkward being the one advising u but ive learned k we should make some rules n include our kids in the process,like how much time can they have for computer, etc. once we come to an agreement, there should be no argument n if there is, there should be a penalty like i tell my daughter that u cant hav lunch until uve had a bath n i usually stick to it. which reminds me that once u make a rule, stand by it otherwise kids will know k they can get their way around by some manipulation n cry baby attitude.be polite but firm n give them good alternatives

  • 9/15, 11:04am
    SB


    lolzzzzz...parenting is something that we learn from each other...seriously I think much younger mothers are better than me
  • Sadaf Usman
    9/15, 11:04am
    Sadaf Usman


    i guess we all know these things but wen the actual time comes we all are too driven to act on impulse n not cool headed

  • 9/15, 11:04am
    SB


    so I am all ears to learn on this front

    my problem is, I can't take the tantrum, I give up easily...

    I am mentally occupied with my studies so much that I can't stand the buggin...
  • Sadaf Usman
    9/15, 11:05am
    Sadaf Usman


    thats so healthy attitude coz i believe that one should be open to learn n admit that there can b better ways than what we did
  • SB


    Of course, the generation is changing quite fast...we have new challenges all together
  • Sadaf Usman
    9/15, 11:06am
    Sadaf Usman


    well if u set a time through mutual agreement, tantrums can give u a reason to cancel even that

    like these days my deal with my beti is k i wont tease her n she wont throw tantrums
  • SB


    We did settle on time, two hours a day...but then they start breaking the rules
  • Sadaf Usman
    9/15, 11:07am
    Sadaf Usman


    like  the minute she becomes a cry baby, i refuse what she asks for

  • 9/15, 11:07am
    SB


    they resist on their homework...

    they dont want to clean up

    they are not organized at all...

    my daughter (12) going to high school now still wants me to choose her clothes for school which makes me sick

    she should be doing her stuff on her own now


  • Sadaf Usman
    9/15, 11:09am
    Sadaf Usman


    this calls for a family meeting i guess

    u should ask them what they like about their life n what they dont, about u ,themselves n eachother..a time of reflection maybe n u can share with them too ur own feeling

  • 9/15, 11:11am
    SB


    hummm...this is good idea but then how will it help?

    need a bigger picture pl
  • Sadaf Usman
    9/15, 11:11am
    Sadaf Usman


    like i tell my beti how upset i feel when she misbehaves etc , how it disturbs me n makes me feel like a bad mom, not doing a good job

    she tells me she doesnt like when i get angry at her n that makes her more angry

    i didnt know this n was surprised k my temper makes her lose hers

    that was quite helpful so i realized k if i keep my tone low, she wont go high too

    once u guys are open about ur feelings, n complaints

    u can start on the path of solution.but first we need to identify the problem

    like if ur son could go out with friends , would he b fine with 1 hour of gadget

    maybe he needs more activity in life

  • 9/15, 11:13am
    SB


    In our case, the problem is their craziness about Ipod and tablet

    Sadaf kids in North America are so addicted to these things, you won't imagine

    they are watching youtube videos and vines all day frown emoticon
  • Sadaf Usman
    9/15, 11:14am
    Sadaf Usman


    u should give this stuff away:D

    keep a laptop n that too time locked

    or use this as a threat n act upon it

    but dont make them feel like the losing party,infact, do it as a family.make a win win situation out of it

  • 9/15, 11:15am
    SB


    my husband is so fed up, I am afraid he will break them down one day
  • Sadaf Usman
    9/15, 11:17am
    Sadaf Usman


    u really should then i guess.i havent bought these coz with a laptop n a mobile, i have enough to keep track of i feel

    would b healthy infact

    just do it in a way k they dont feel like ure an enemy

    n yeah

    first create some alternatives

    like what will they do in that time if no tablet or ipad

    theres a website, coursera.org

    where they can join online courses

    n many more im sure

  • 9/15, 11:19am
    SB


    I am planning to create a defect in their gadgets evil mom

    seriously....

    then they have netflix on my smart TV

    I repent, why did I buy the smart technology....it's awful

    lolzzzzz
  • Sadaf Usman
    9/15, 11:20am
    Sadaf Usman


    SB someone once said k if u dont want ur kids to eat junk food, dont bring it in your home

    i guess that fits here too

  • 9/15, 11:20am
    SB


    anyways, nice chatting with u, keep in touch and I will definitely try the family meeting thing soon

    ya, my husband told me....warned me
  • Sadaf Usman
    9/15, 11:20am
  • SB


    I should have listened to him
  • Sadaf Usman
    9/15, 11:21am
    Sadaf Usman


    all the best

  • 9/15, 11:21am
    SB


    but then social pressure, all the other kids in their circle have these stupid gadgets and they felt left out

    like poor kids who don't own gadgets...
  • Sadaf Usman
    9/15, 11:21am
    Sadaf Usman


    u have to be strong i think
  • 9/15, 11:21am
    SB


    living in the west create some dilemmas as well

    now that they had them, i guess its time to defect them

No comments:

Post a Comment