Thursday 3 November 2016

Their Faces Tell Their Story!

(This is my take from a panel discussion with acid and oil burn victims of Depilex SmileAgain Foundation at the SHE Inspires 2016 event)


You think it doesn't happen, because thank God, it hasn't happened with you or anyone you personally know and also because you don't want to admit that it happens, it isn't a fact you want to own or accept but its true, very true!

Acid burning and kerosene oil burning incidents are a part of our everyday news. Jahaiz na lanay per bahu ko tail chirak k aag laga de! Who hasnt read such news but after twice or thrice, it has lost its novelty, there's nothing new about it. It happens all the time and strangely what happens all the time, becomes a norm of the society, even an act as barbarian as acid burning!

Sit for a while with a kerosene or acid burn victim and your entire perspective will be changed. The pain that a burn victim goes through is so intense and unbearable that many are unable to sustain the wounds and lose their life. Those who pull through, have a long battle ahead that awaits them, which is physical, psychological and social.

'My husband wanted to teach me a lesson. He splashed petrol on me and burned me because I had not brought enough dowry,'one victim said. 'I was in severe, unbearable pain. I wanted to die, wanted to kill myself, the pain was so terrible! My lips had melted in such away that I had no mouth. I had to go through multiple surgeries to get to a near-normal state! My neck is still being treated, if it weren't for Depilex SmileAgain foundation, I could've never afforded this expensive treatment.'

Founded in 2003, Depilex Smileagain Foundation is the brainchild of Musarrat Misbah, working on the treatment and rehabilitation of the victims of intentional acid and kerosene oil burning.


Shedding light on the causes of such incidents, she stated that, 'Mostly the reasons range from dowy issues, girl child birth, anger, frustration or mere means of pressure to convince someone to marry or punish her for refusing to but if you dig deep, it is actually a sick mindset that considers a woman worthless and weak enough to be subjected to all kinds of torture and pain without the slightest of shame or guilt! It is not just blatant ignorance but complete disregard of basic human values as well!'

Sharing her story, another victim said that her husband didnt work and that led to regular disputes between the couple. ' One day, as I was walking my daughter to school, my husband came from behind and threw acid on me. I have lost one eye due to this incident, not to forget the eternal scars on the skin and soul. But today, I stand strong. My Allah is with me and I am empowered enough to support my children myself!'

When one listens to such stories, one cant help thinking the vital role parents, especially mothers have to play in their child's upbringing for these men too, were raised by women, then how could they have such low value and regard for the womankind. 'We are definitely not bringing up our sons right,' Mussarat Misbah said,' We need to amend the flaws in our upbringing and build a pressure group for this cause, making our presence strong on the media, in the papers, on various platforms for mere laws are not enough if their implementation is not ensured. If the culprit is able to get away with his crime, how will rule of law be established and justice reign supreme!'

The treatment for a burn victim is very lengthy and painful, the path to recovery long and trying. She has to accept the face in the mirror as her own, although the marks on her face and body are a constant reminder of the horrendous act she suffered. The physical pain and discomfort continues for months, even years and sometimes, for life. The psychological trauma and social isolation make this a challenge for the victim to pull through and rise again.

Is it then fair to let this issue be buried underground and not be given due voice and attention? As responsible citizens, it is only fair that we raise our voice against this crime on all platforms and ensure that culprits of such heinous acts be punished so severely that they become a symbol of admonition for the rest of the world.





No comments:

Post a Comment